What are the real essentials in Children’s Ministry? What core values should transcend your curriculum and ministry methods? I am constantly asking these questions to myself. When the children I teach this Sunday turn 30 what will really matter in their lives?
Here are what I consider four essential foundations for all church based ministry to children. Let me know what you think.
1. Children’s Ministry must be God-Centered. This means that in our teaching, we must emphasize the greatness of God. The Bible is first and foremost a book about God. We want our children to see how strong and big and faithful and loving and majestic and smart and satisfying our God is. Psalm 34:8 says, “Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!” This is my prayer for you children this year – that they would experience God in such a way as to develop a lifelong desire for him. So when times of trouble come they will take refuge in him.
2. Children’s Ministry must be Bible-saturated. This means that God’s Word must permeate everything that we do. In 2 Timothy 3:15 Paul reminds Timothy, “From childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.” Mere human works are not enough to guide our children to God – they need the Bible. Only God’s Word can change hearts.
3. Children’s Ministry must be Gospel-driven. We must be intentional to proclaim the Gospel to children and their families. Romans 1:16 says, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes.” This was the command of Christ in Mark 16:15, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.”
4. Children’s Ministry must minister to the whole family. We recognize that God has called parents to be the primary faith-nurturers of children. Therefore, our Children’s Ministry must partner with parents to assist them in fulfilling this calling. This means serving the parents as well as the children.
5. Children’s Ministry is about serving kids. At the end of the day, we are working to help and serve the children. Our work is to put their ultimate spiritual needs ahead of our own. Our ministry becomes great as we excel in service. As Jesus says in Mark 9:35, ““If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.
Article printed from Ministry-to-Children.com: http://ministry-to-children.com
Click here to print.
Copyright © 2009 Ministry-to-Children.com. You may use for any offline ministry purpose.